Spoon stops by the LC studio just to say “hello” to their friends at Lightning 100. A few lucky listeners got to watch this in-studio performance of “Do You” and “Rainy Taxi” off their recent release They Want My Soul. Have you listened to the full album? Let us know by leaving a comment on this post if you want to hear another track on 100.1 FM! Click here to watch the HD performance or listen to the full audio interview.
After living in Nashville for 20 years, Brian ventured off to college to attend MTSU. Brian graduated from college in 2008 with a degree in Entrepreneurship. In his spare time he enjoyed writing, booking shows, attending shows, traveling to festivals, and listening to the radio. Before even looking at jobs, Brian got an internship at Lightning 100 in 2008. He work on projects such as Music Business Radio, Local Lightning Spotlight, and festival coverage for the stations website.
I'm the web guy. I own this website.
This Thanksgiving, as we give thanks for the mindblowing year that was 2014, what better way to celebrate then with friends, family, food and MUSIC!?! As the turkey settles, leftovers are put away and the tryptophan kicks in, curl up with your extended family on The Farm for an exclusive VH1 special, “A Very Bonnaroo Thanksgiving” on Thursday, November 27th at 9PM ET/PT.
Lightning 100 is thankful for having some of the best listeners out there, so we are giving away a pair of tickets to Bonnaroo 2015! Follow Lightning 100 on twitter and ReTweet our #GobbleRoo message for a chance to win. You can enter once per tweet, by ReTweet a new message posted by Lightning 100. It’s that simple! Click here for the official rules.
We’ll be checking in on Bonnaroo groundskeeper, Dale, as he takes care of The Farm and unleashes a magical archive of past festival performances, including Paul McCartney, Pearl Jam, Arcade Fire, Elton John, Metallica, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Mumford & Sons, Jack White, and many more.
You’ll want to use the official hashtag, #GobbleRoo, to join the conversation and participate in some Thanksgiving giveaways for the whole ‘Roo family!
And be sure to remember… The Bonnaroo 2015 Pre-Sale begins the next day, Friday, November 28th at Noon ET. More details can be found on our Tickets Page!
WRLT- FM Bonnaroo Retweet Contest Official Rules
A complete copy of these rules can be obtained at the offices of radio station WRLT-FM (“Station”), owned and operated by Tuned In Broadcasting, Inc. at 1310 Clinton Street Suite 215, Nashville TN 37203, during normal business hours Monday through Friday or by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the above address.
The Station will conduct the WRLT-FM Contest (the “Contest”) substantially as described in these rules, and by participating, each participant agrees as follows:
- No purchase is necessary. Void where prohibited. All federal, state, and local regulations apply.
- This Contest is open only to legal U.S. residents age eighteen (18) years or older at the time of entry with a valid Social Security number and who reside in the Station’s listening area. Void where prohibited by law. Employees of Tuned In Broadcasting, Inc., its parent company, affiliates, related entities and subsidiaries, promotional sponsors, prize providers, advertising agencies, other radio stations serving the Station’s listening area, and the immediate family members and household members of all such employees are not eligible to participate. The term “immediate family members” includes spouses, parents and step-parents, siblings and step-siblings, and children and stepchildren. The term “household members” refers to people who share the same residence at least three (3) months out of the year. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Participation constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Contest. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
- Contest Period. The Contest will begin at 12:01pm CST on November 22, 2014 and will run through 8:00pm CST on November 27th, 2014 (the “Contest Period”). The Station’s computer is the official time keeping device for this Contest.
- How to Enter. You will automatically be entered into the Contest once you complete one of the following:
- Retweet WRLT: Entrant must retweet on www.twitter.com the designated tweet from @Lightning100 Entrants may only retweet once per day and entrants may only enter once. Users found to use multiple accounts will be deemed ineligible. Entrants must include ‘@Lightning100’ in each retweet.
Use of any automated system to participate is prohibited and will result in disqualification. Station is not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, inappropriate or misdirected registrations, all of which will be disqualified. In the event of a dispute as to any registration, the authorized account holder of the email address used to register will be deemed to be the participant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned the telephone number by the wireless carrier or an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. Potential winner may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder. All entries become the sole and exclusive property of Station and will not be returned. Station reserves the right to contact entrants and all other individuals whose email address is submitted as part of this promotion. No mail-in entries will be accepted.
- Winner Selection. December 3, 2014 – Station will select one (1) entry for the prize in a random drawing from among all valid entries received by Station during the Contest Period. The winning entrant will be awarded the prize (subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with the terms of these rules). Station’s decisions as to the administration and operation of the Contest and the selection of the potential winner are final and binding in all matters related to the Contest. Failure to respond to the initial verification contact within three (3) days of notification will result in disqualification.
- Verification of Potential Winner. POTENTIAL CONTEST WINNER IS SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION BY STATION WHOSE DECISIONS ARE FINAL AND BINDING IN ALL MATTERS RELATED TO THE CONTEST. The potential winner must continue to comply with all terms and conditions of these Official Rules, and winning is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements. The potential winner will be required to sign and return to Station, within three (3) days of the date notice is sent, an affidavit of eligibility and a liability/publicity release (except where prohibited) in order to claim his/her prize, if applicable. A winner who returns the affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release will be deemed to have accepted the Contest Prize and thereafter will not be permitted to rescind their acceptance of the prize and/or return the prize. If a potential winner cannot be contacted, fails to sign and return the affidavit of eligibility and/or the liability/publicity release within the required time period (if applicable), or if the prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, potential winner forfeits prize. In the event that the potential winner of a prize is disqualified for any reason, Station may award the applicable prize to an alternate winner by random drawing from among all remaining eligible entries.
- Grand Prize. Two (2) GA general admission tickets to Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival 2015. Approximate retail value: $599. Winner is responsible for all taxes associated with prize receipt and/or use. Odds of winning the Grand Prize depend on a number of factors including the number of eligible entries received during the Contest Period and listeners participating at any given time. Station reserves the right to substitute any listed prize for one of equal or greater value for any reason.
- Entry Conditions and Release. By entering, each participant agrees to: (a) comply with and be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Station, which are binding and final in all matters relating to this Contest; (b) release and hold harmless Station, Tuned In Broadcasting, Inc ., and its subsidiaries, related and affiliated companies, participating sponsors, the prize suppliers and any other organizations responsible for sponsoring, fulfilling, administering, advertising or promoting the Contest, and each of their respective past and present officers, directors, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to negligence and damages of any kind to persons and property, including but not limited to invasion of privacy (under appropriation, intrusion, public disclosure of private facts, false light in the public eye or other legal theory), defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, infringement of trademark, copyright or other intellectual property rights, property damage, or death or personal injury arising out of or relating to a participant’s entry, creation of an entry or submission of an entry, participation in the Contest, acceptance or use or misuse of prize (including any travel or activity related thereto) and/or the broadcast, exploitation or use of entry; and (c) indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Released Parties from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liabilities (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising out of or relating to an entrant’s participation in the Contest and/or entrant’s acceptance, use, non-use or misuse of the prize.
- Except where prohibited, participation in the Contest constitutes winner’s consent to Station’s and its agents’ use of winner’s name, likeness, photograph, voice, opinions and/or hometown and state for promotional purposes in any media, worldwide, without further payment or consideration, unless otherwise prohibited by law.
- All State, Local, Federal and or other taxes, duties, tariffs, title fees, licensing fees, or other fees for prizes awarded become the sole responsibility of the winner. All those who win a prize or prizes valued $600 or more in any given year will be issued an IRS Form 1099 to report their winnings.
- General Conditions. Station reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Contest, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond Station’s reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Contest, as determined by Station in its sole discretion. Station reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Station reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Station’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
- Limitations of Liability. The Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (2) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Contest; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; or (5) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use, non-use or misuse of any prize. If for any reason an entrant’s entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, entrant’s sole remedy is another entry in the Contest, provided that if it is not possible to award another entry due to discontinuance or completion of the Contest, or any part of it, for any reason, Station, at its discretion, may elect to hold a random drawing from among all eligible entries received up to the date of discontinuance for any or all of the prizes offered herein. No more than the stated number of prizes will be awarded. In event that production, technical, programming or any other reason causes more than stated number of prizes as set forth in these Official Rules to be available or claimed, Station reserves the right to award only the stated number of prizes by a random drawing among all legitimate, unawarded, eligible prize claims.
- Entrant agrees that: (i) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or any prizes awarded, other than those concerning the administration of the Contest or the determination of the winner, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (ii) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved exclusively by the United States District Court or the appropriate state court located in the Station’s listening area; (iii) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (iv) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the state in which the Station is located, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the state in which the Station is located or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the state in which the Station is located.
- Contest Results. A winners list may be obtained after December 5th, 2014 by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to the Contest Sponsor identified below.
- Release of Twitter. This contest is no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Twitter.com. By participating in this contest, entrants release Twitter of any responsibility associated with this contest.
CONTEST SPONSOR: Tuned In Broadcasting, INC. 1310 Clinton Street Suite 215, Nashville TN 37206 and Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival
There was a moment when Steve walked out on stage in Chicago at his sold out, first ever headlining club tour that took his breath away. It had been a long road up to this point, one with empty rooms and unmet expectations, but if you asked him, he wouldn’t change a thing. A handful of odd jobs, hundreds of shows and a thousand songs later, the Pittsburgh native, is three records in with no signs of slowing down. Moakler’s highly embraced album, Wide Open, was released Spring 2014 and follows the success of his previous records, Watching Time Run (2011) and All the Faint Lights (2009). Watching Time Run debuted at No. 1 on the Singer/Songwriter chart and Top 50 on the Overall iTunes® chart.
On the road, Moakler is known to take on a unique touring approach. Last fall, Moakler embarked on the “Hometowns & Campgrounds Tour,” where he hit 40 different cities in 50 days. He revived the concept last month with the “Tailgate Tour,” touring around the country and performing private house concerts. In March, Steve embarked on his first headlining club tour, the “Wide Open Road Tour,” where he hit major cities including his hometown of Pittsburgh, Nashville and a sold-out date in Chicago. The outpouring from Wide Open and the support of his fans all across the country is one of the many reasons why Steve continues to be named one of the leading independent musicians in his genre. His music has been recorded by esteemed artists such as Dierks Bentley, Jake Owen, Kellie Picker, Ben Rector and Matt Wertz, and Moakler has had music featured on a variety of national commercials and networks including MTV, FOX and ABC, among others. It’s hard to believe it has been nearly a decade since his drive into Nashville, but if his career is any indication, Moakler’s on the ride of his life.
Some lucky Lightning 100 listeners got a chance to sit in on a James Bay (not so) secret show that took place before his two sold out shows with Hozier in Nashville at Exit/In. Bay played four songs including “If You Ever Wanna Be In Love”, “Let it Go” off of his new EP, “Move Together” and “When We Were On Fire”. Lightning 100 was able to capture video of the first two songs. Click here to check the performance out.
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN ANY TUNED IN BROADCASTING GIVEAWAY.
VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
Please read these official rules carefully.
The following rules govern the “Vinyl Shopping with Patrick Carney of The Black Keys” promotion and giveaway.
Must be 18 years of age to enter or win.
“Giveaway” open to legal residents of middle Tennessee who are 18 years of age or older. Promotion begins at 12:00 AM on November 17, 2014 and ends at 11:59 PM on November 24, 2014 (“Promotion Period”).
One way to enter for a chance to win: listen to Lightning 100 (100.1FM) during the Promotion Period for a cue to call. When you hear it, be the designated caller to (615) 777-5100. No other forms of entry are valid. The designated caller (“qualifier”) for each cue to call will win:
- Two (2) tickets to see The Black Keys at Bridgestone Arena on December 8, 2015. (“qualifying prize”)
Each Qualifying Prize winner will be entered into a random drawing for the “Grand Prize”. Grand Prize consists of:
- Winner and one guest to shop for vinyl records with The Black Keys drummer Patrick Carney (shopping will be for approximately 30 minutes during the first week of December 2014 (Dec. 1-5, 2014). Winner must be available during designated time during said week.
- One (1) award of $200 to spend on vinyl records during shopping trip as described above.
Grand Prize Winner (“GPW”) will be selected in a random drawing to be held on or about November 25, 2014 from among all eligible qualifying entries received by Tuned-In Broadcasting. GPW may not substitute or transfer prize, but Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize with prize of equal or greater value. Odds of winning depend upon the number of eligible entries received. Winners will be notified by phone and will be required to respond to the phone call within forty-eight (48) hours indicating whether he/she would like to accept the prize so Tuned In Broadcasting can capture winner’s name and address or prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected (time permitting). If no response is received within the time allotted, an alternate winner will be selected (time permitting). Sponsor is not responsible for suspended or discontinued wireless or land line service which may result in potential winner not receiving initial prize notification. If Grand Prize is not claimed as instructed during this time period, prize will be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner (time permitting). Winner’s guest must be at least 18 years of age at the time of registration. Any prize notification or prize returned to the Sponsor or its agencies as undeliverable will result in disqualification and award of that prize to an alternate winner (time permitting). There will be a variety of Tuned In Broadcasting promotions occurring between November 17 and November 24, 2014. If you are identified as a potential winner of a Tuned In Broadcasting prize within (30) thirty days of the drawing for The Vinyl Shopping with The Black Keys’ Patrick Carney, you are not eligible to participate and/or win a prize in this Promotion/Giveaway. Winner may be required to provide valid, government issued identification for validation of being eligible for Promotion/Giveaway as stated herein official rules and/or to claim prize.
Employees and the immediate families of employees of Tuned In Broadcasting, its affiliates and subsidiaries, employees and the immediate families of employees of advertising and promotion agencies are ineligible. This Promotion/Giveaway is void where prohibited by law and is subject to federal, state and local regulations. Taxes on prize are the sole responsibility of the individual winner.
Acceptance of prize offered constitutes permission to use winner’s name, voice, biographical information and/or likeness for purposes of advertising and promotion without further compensation in all media now known or hereafter discovered worldwide and on the Internet without notice or review or approval as permitted by law.
PRIZE AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE: There is a total of one (1) Grand Prize during the Promotion:
Vinyl Records: $200
Tickets to The Black Keys show at Bridgestone Arena Dec. 8, 2014. Approximate value per ticket: $45.00
By accepting a prize, winner agrees to release and hold Tuned In Broadcasting harmless from any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and actions of any kind resulting from acceptance, possession or use of any prize, including without limitation, personal injuries, death and property damage. By participating in this Promotion/Giveaway, participants agree to be bound by the Official Rules of this Promotion/Giveaway.
For Winner information, hand print your name and complete address on a 3” x 5” card and mail to: Tuned In Broadcasting, ATTN: BLACK KEYS VINYL 1310 Clinton Street, Suite #215 Nashville TN 37203 for receipt by December 31, 2014
Winner will be announced on November 26, 2014.
John Butler Trio performs “Spring to Come”, “Better Then”, and “Livin’ in the City” live in the studio. Click here to get tickets to their show at Ryman Auditorium on November 13th.
A few weeks ago, Lightning 100 was lucky enough to have Asgeir stop by for a visit on his way to play a Not-So-Secret Secret Show at 12th and Porter. The 22-year-old phonem from Iceland chatted with our own Lt. Dan and played two songs, “Going Home” and “Leyndarmal”—the original Icelandic version of his hit “King and Cross.”
Asgeir hails from a hamlet called Laugarbakki, about as remote a location as you can imagine producing a prodigious artist. “My town is about 40, 50 people,” he told Lt. Dan. “I grew up with Internet, but we didn’t have CD stores, or music stores, or venues. Even guitar strings, we had to drive three hours to get that.” Even so, he was able to develop prodigious songwriting skills, and his first album, Dýrð í dauðaþögn, broke several Icelandic sales records—it is estimated that ten percent of the country’s population purchased the LP. Working with American expatriate John Grant, he translated the original lyrics (written by his father) into English and released the album online as In the Silence in October 2013. For the most part, Asgeir feels as though the team was able to ensure that no meaning was lost in the translation. “[Grant] helped us a lot with it,” he said, “and kind of to get the same poetic lyrics into English it was kind of a difficult job, but he did a good job on that.” In the Silence has done well over the past year and spawned the single “King and Cross,” which has received regular airplay on Lightning 100 since its release.
Bearheart is a Nashville based band whose song writing and instrumentation often defies the Alternative Country label that is usually assigned to them. Their musical influences range from traditional bluegrass and folk to classic country and Indie Americana rock.
Within the same set, traditional bluegrass instrumentation gives way to lap steel and heavily effected electric guitar, each of which serve the unique and emotional songwriting talents of two Alabamans, lead singer Matthew Leonhardt and multi-instrumentalist Taylor McMillen.
Mobile, AL raised McMillen is a sonic chameleon, jumping between mandolin, guitar, lap steel and occasionally has even been seen playing a length of galvanized chain. Simultaneously, he contributes back up vocals and harmonies, which are a perfect counterpoint to Leonhardt’s clear tenor voice.
In 2007, a chance encounter in a Tennessee university between Nashville native percussionist Chris Barrett and Huntsville, AL born Leonhardt began a long friendship and musical collaboration. Six years later, McMillen and Los Angeles transplant and upright bass player Craig Higgins joined, and Bearheart was formed. Between the addition of Higgins and the driving beats of Barrett, came a solidified rhythm section which filled out the band’s sound to create a well balanced experience. In early 2014, Jon Galletti, on banjo, and Brenna Fitzgerald, on fiddle, joined the ranks, which helped drive Bearheart further toward their bluegrass and folk endeavors.
Since releasing their debut self-titled EP in September 2013, they have been featured on Brite Revolution’s weekly sampler, featured on American Songwriter’s Daily Discovery page, and were selected as one of Nashville’s top 32 bands to participate in Lightning 100’s Music City Mayhem 2014.
Bearheart is becoming well known and loved around Middle Tennessee with new songs that provide an old sense of familiarity.
Swedish folk duo First Aid Kit, comprised of sisters Johanna and Kiara Söderberg, stopped by the LC Studio the day after their packed out show at the Ryman. It was their first time ever performing at the Ryman and the sisters said it was “a dream come true to play there”. They performed the songs Silver Lining, the track you’ve been hearing on Lightning 100, and the title track to their new album Stay Gold in the studio.
Mike Mogis of Bright Eyes, who has been a big inspiration to the girls at an early age, produced their third album, Stay Gold, which was released back in June. “Hearing their music was like opening a door to all this folk and country music”, the girls said about Bright Eyes. They have also had the opportunity to work with Jack White, who they did a cover of his song Love Interruption during their show at the Ryman, and got to tour with him in Europe back in 2012.
Here are the videos of their live in studio performances of Silver Lining and Stay Gold.
Then Came The Morning is The Lone Bellow’s title track off of their new album that is due to be released at the beginning of 2015. The follow-up album from their self-titled 2013 debut, which is produced by The National’s Aaron Dessner, exhibits that they have not lost their “sleekly soaring charm”.
Zach Williams, the lead singer and principal songwriter, first came to songwriting during a terrible tragedy. While William’s was still living down south, his wife was devastatingly injured in a horseback riding accident, which led physicians believing that she would leave the hospital a paraplegic. Miraculously doctors at the Shepard Center in Atlanta thought otherwise and soon enough, after months of rehab, she regained the ability to walk. Throughout this catastrophe, Williams had been writing down all his thoughts into a journal and his good friend, Caleb Clardy, suggested that he turn his writings into songs. Williams expressed, “I started reading my friends these journal entries. I was writing in a kind of rhyming form because it helped to keep my mind focused. Caleb said, these are songs, man, you need to learn how to play the guitar and sing at the same time.”
Williams and his wife decided to pack up and head to New York City to pursue their creative paths. Several of their friends followed and they created a tightly kit community in Brooklyn, where Williams started as a solo artist backed by a hired band. Following a soul-searching trip he’d taken with his wife, a pile of deeply personal songs arose. These are the songs that Williams took with him to Dizzy’s Diner in Park Slope, Brooklyn where his old friend, the Lone Bellow’s guitarist Brian Elmquist, was working. Williams had asked fellow singer Kanene Pipkin to the diner and the trio performed. It was there that Williams realized that he should quit what he was doing and “just make music with these people”. That morning was the beginning of what became the Lone Bellow.
Take a listen to the title track from their new album, which Williams points to a very different inspiration of Vegas-era Elvis.
Michael Dorf is founder and CEO of City Winery, Nashville’s newest venue and sister to City Wineries in New York City, Chicago, and Napa Valley.
In 1986, at only 23 years old, Dorf founded The Knitting Factory, New York City’s go-to venue for independent music. Since that time, he produced over 200 records, a TV series, and become a very respected producer and promoter of indie music.
Dorf talks about his early career on the road managing artists, starting the Knitting Factory, record producing and how his love of music and wine lead to the creation of City Winery’s truly unique dining and concert experience.
From a childhood on San Juan island in Washington State and in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, Isaac’s songs all promote a realness that touches on both where he comes from and what stirs the soul.
“Growing up on an island was incredible. Me and my buds would hang on the docks and catch shrimp, build tunnels and forts through the vines in the forest, or help my Mom pick blackberries for her famous jam. It was a magical place. When my family moved to Wyoming, it was a whole new kind of magic… wide open, and big.”
Isaac began learning guitar while attending a small liberal arts college in Spokane where he also played for the basketball team. It wasn’t long before his academic education began to take a backseat to his musical one.
“A good friend in Wyoming had heard a couple of my songs, and he offered to record a demo for me, so I went and recorded six songs. That was my start in music. I started writing songs more proactively from that point on, and I started playing shows. It was an exciting time for me because no one I knew really thought of me as a musician, so there was a lot of ‘What!? I didn’t know you could sing!'”
Isaac took some time to travel landing in several different cities including San Diego, and then Nashville, where he’s lived the last five years.
Are you one of the lucky few that got a ticket to Foo Fighters at Ryman on Halloween? If it makes you feel any better, most of the Lightning 100 staff did not get one either. Lightning 100 has one more shot for you to get a pair of tickets. Join us at Edley’s 12th South from 1-3pm with a food donation for Second Harvest for a chance to win. The official rules are posted below.
1. Nonperishable Food Donations will be accepted from 1pm to 3pm at Edley’s BBQ located at 2706 12th Ave S. Nashville, TN
2. No purchase necessary. Must 18 years of age or older to participate in the Foo Fighters giveaway. Must show valid ID at the time of entry.
3. Each Five pounds of nonperishable food donated earns one additional entry for a chance to win 2 seats (winner’s name will be placed on a guest list) to the Foo Fighters concert on Friday, October 31, 2014 at the Ryman Auditorium
4. Food will be weighed onsite by a Second Harvest Food Bank representative and donation receipt given. One additional entry for every 5lb’s on nonperishable food.
5. All food donations will benefit Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee.
6. Winner will be announced onsite at approximately 3:30pm CST. Must be present to win.
7. Must arrive & be in line by 3:00pm CST
8. Most needed items are peanut butter, canned meat (chicken/tuna), canned fruit and vegetables, soups and stews, pasta and cereal.
9. Monetary donations will not be accepted for entry in the giveaway.
10. Winner cannot already have purchased tickets to the Foo Fighters concert at The Ryman Auditorium on 10/31/14.
11. Please go to http://ryman.com/event/FooFighters for more specific information on ticketing.
To learn more about Second Harvest and our mission, please visit secondharvestmidtn.org
Said to “hit the sweet spot between Mumford & Son’s power-folk and My Morning Jacket’s passionate post-Southern rock”, Roadkill Ghost Choir headlines this week’s Nashville Sunday Night, Live from 3rd & Lindsley. Brothers Andrew, Zach, and Maxx Shepard, with friends Stephen Garza and Kiffy Meyer, makeup this alternative rock band from DeLand, Florida. In Tongues, their debut full-length album, was released this past summer and received wide critical acclaim. The group’s accolades include touring with Band of Horses and performing on the David Letterman Show, as well as festival inclusions at Bonnaroo, SXSW, and Lollapalooza.
Desert Noises will open up for Roadkill Ghost Choir this week at Lightning 100’s Nashville Sunday Night. In order to establish a reputation as a “must-see live act”, Desert Noises has spent the majority of its time touring. Leaving behind their family and friends, front man Kyle Henderson and fellow band-mates hit the road three years ago to begin touring relentlessly, and haven’t stopped since. 27 Ways, the group’s most recent album, features “beat-oriented soul” as well as “classic psychedelic rock” influences, and pays tribute to their decision to leave their Utah Valley homes in pursuit of music.
Here is the info we have posted on Foo Fighters Facebook page about their Halloween show at Ryman Auditorium!
* This event is open to All Ages
* Please see ticket http://ryman.com/event/FooFighters for Costume policies
* All seats for this show are electronic Ticketmaster Paperless Tickets ONLY
* Ticketmaster Paperless Tickets are NON TRANSFERABLE. ORIGINAL TICKET PURCHASER MUST ATTEND THE EVENT.
* At ENTRY you must provide the CREDIT CARD USED TO PURCHASE AND VALID PHOTO ID. Name on credit card must match photo ID.
* Entire party MUST enter the venue at the same time.
* Gift cards and single use credit cards may not be used to purchase paperless tickets.
* Ticket Limit of 2 per household
Lightning 100 was able to hook up a few lucky listeners for a private performance with Hozier over at William Colliers. Hozier sold out two night stand at Exit/In and then Ryman Auditorium within the first year of his debut album. Guess who played his single first? To thank Lightning 100, Hozier performed “To Be Alone” and his hit single “Take Me To Church“. Click here to watch the HD video performance!
“The first album was me wanting to burn down my life, cut my hair off, and run screaming into the woods,” says Alejandro Rose-Garcia. “This album is the trials and tribulations of becoming domesticated, letting people into your world and letting go of selfishness-the story of becoming a pair, losing that, and reconciling with the loss and gain of love.”
Rose-Garcia is professionally known as Shakey Graves, and with his new record, And the War Came, he extends the ground-emotionally and sonically-broken by his 2011 self-released debut album, Roll the Bones, which brought him national acclaim and, three years later, still ranks near the top of Bandcamp’s digital best-seller charts.
Roll the Bones established the powerful, mesmerizing Shakey Graves sound of Rose-Garcia accompanying himself on guitar and a handmade kick drum built out of an old suitcase. NPR Music named him one of 10 artists music fans “should’ve known in 2012,” describing him as “astonishing…unclassifiably original. And frighteningly good.” Paste included him in a “Best of What’s Next” feature, praising his “gnarly composite of blues and folk,” while The New York Times observed that Shakey Graves “makes the one-man band approach look effortless.”
But while this distinctive arrangement continued to earn him an ever-expanding fan base on the road, Rose-Garcia knew that he wanted the follow-up to achieve something different. “With the first album, I didn’t have any expectations except my own,” he says. “This time, I was making something people were going to listen to out of the gate. I tried to maintain everything I enjoy about recording, the weird homemade aspect, but I was seeking a new, shining sound quality. The concepts for the songs are a little bigger. This is not the ‘Mr, Folk, Hobo Mountain’ album-it’s more of the Cyborg Shakey Graves. It’s definitely the next step in the staircase.”
An experienced actor who had a recurring role on Friday Night Lights and appeared in several of Robert Rodriguez films, Rose-Garcia started making music as part of New York City’s “anti-folk” scene. While knocking around the underground music community in Los Angeles, he saw a performance by one-man band Bob Log III that pointed his work in a new direction. Since returning to Austin, Rose-Garcia has become so closely associated with his hometown that for the last three years, Austin has celebrated “Shakey Graves Day” by mayoral proclamation.
Boom Forest is the spiritual wailings of John Paul Roney from the automated woods of Tomorrow…..and that’s all we know about Boom Forest. Wanting to know more? Come see Boom Forest at 12th and Porter for a FREE show for Friday Afternoon Live.
“What I love about Nashville is that there’s such a sense of family here,” claims Los Angeles-based singer/songwriter LP (Laura Pergolizzi) as she sits in Nashville’s own Peter Nappi, a premium Tuscan leather footwear and goods boutique. Born and raised in New York, LP first began her career as a musician in 1998 when she was seen performing by David Lowery of the band Cracker, who later began to help her produce her debut album Heart-Shaped Scar. As her career escalated, LP eventually landed a record deal with Warner Bros. Records, which ultimately lead to the release of her most recent album Forever for Now.
This past September, LP performed at Lightning 100’s Live On The Green Music Festival as well as Lightning 100’s weekly concert series Nashville Sunday Night, a live broadcast live from 3rd and Lindsley. “Night Like This”, the leading single from her 2014 album Forever for Now, received airplay on Lightning 100 and was a huge hit during her performance of the song at Nashville Sunday Night. “Night Like This was really fun last night…it was the first time I had seen people really respond to that song,” LP says in this week’s video episode of the live broadcast, “it was more of a communal thing”, she remarks, “I enjoy that part of it.”
Lightning 100 recently had Vinyl Thief into the LC studio before #BlocktoberFest. You’ve been hearing “Middle of the Night” on 100.1 FM, now hear a live version and “Faces” off their recently release Phantoms. Vinyl Thief is offering a free download of “Middle of the Night” on their Facebook page. See Vinyl Thief live on November 8th at Stone Fox.
Bluemoon and Lightning 100’s Ski Trip to Copper Mountain
NO PURCHASE NECESSARYTO ENTER OR WIN.
VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
Please read these official rules carefully.
This Promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or
associated with, Facebook.
- No Beer Purchase Necessary. Sweepstakes open to residents of Tennessee who are 21 years of age or older. Sweepstakes begins at 12:00 AM on October 15, 2014 and ends at 11:59 PM on December 21, 2014 (“Sweepstakes Period”). Void where prohibited.
- Two (2) Ways to Enter for a chance to win: (a) Internet: Visit HTTP://www.skitrip.lightning100.com and follow the online instructions to complete and submit an online entry. (b) Paper entry: Visit the Lightning 100 station- 1310 Clinton Street suite 215, Nashville TN 37203 and request a paper entry during normal business hours, weekdays Monday through Friday 9am-5pm. All entries must be received and recorded during the Sweepstakes Period. Sponsor’s designated official judging organization’s computer is the official time keeping device for this Sweepstakes. No other forms of entry are valid. Limit one (1) entry per person per day.
- Neither Blue Moon Brewing Company, LLC (“Sponsor”), Tuned- In Broadcasting nor its agencies are responsible for lost, late, misdirected, unintelligible, returned or undelivered entries, telephone calls, text messages, email, or for lost, interrupted or unavailable satellite, network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), Website, or other connections availability, accessibility or traffic congestion, miscommunications, failed computer, network, telephone, satellite or cable hardware or software or lines, or technical failure, or jumbled, scrambled, delayed or misdirected transmissions, computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures or difficulties, or other errors of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic or network. Persons who tamper with or abuse any aspect of this Sweepstakes or Website, or act in violation of the Official Rules, or act in any manner to threaten or abuse or harass any person, or violate Website’s terms of service, as solely determined by the Sponsor, will be disqualified. Neither Sponsor nor its agencies are responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information whether caused by Website users, tampering, hacking, or by any of the programming or equipment associated with or used in this Sweepstakes, and assumes no responsibility for any errors, omission, deletion, interruption or delay in operation or transmission or communication line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized Website access. Any use of robotic, macro, automatic, programmed or like entry methods will void all such entries, and may subject that entrant to disqualification. Neither Sponsor nor its agencies are responsible for injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer or property related to or resulting from participating in this Sweepstakes. Should any portion of Sweepstakes be, in the Sponsor’s sole opinion, compromised by virus, worms, bugs, unauthorized human intervention or other causes which, in the sole opinion of the Sponsor, corrupt or impair administration, security, fairness or proper play of this Sweepstakes, or submission of entries, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Sweepstakes, and randomly select the winners from valid entries received prior to action taken, or otherwise as may be deemed fair and equitable by the Sponsor. The authorized account subscriber is the natural person who is assigned the email address by the ISP or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses. All materials submitted become the property of Tuned In Broadcasting and will not be returned.
- Winners will be selected in a random drawing to be held on or about December 11, 2014 from among all eligible entries received by Tuned-In Broadcasting, whose decisions are final in all matters relating to this Sweepstakes. Winner may not substitute or transfer prize, but Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize with prize of equal or greater value.
- For Grand Prize: Odds of winning depend upon the number of eligible entries received. Winners will be notified by phone and will be required to respond to the phone call within forty-eight (48) hours indicating whether he/she would like to accept the prize so Tuned In Broadcasting can capture winner’s name and address or prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected (time permitting). If no response is received within the time allotted, an alternate winner will be selected (time permitting). Sponsor is not responsible for suspended or discontinued wireless or land line service which may result in potential winner not receiving initial prize notification. If Grand Prize is not claimed as instructed during this time period, prize will be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner (time permitting). Any alternate selected will also be required to complete the online registration process within the time period described herein in order for winner and guest to qualify for the prize. Winner’s guest must be at least 21 years of age at the time of registration. Any prize notification or prize returned to the Sponsor or its agencies as undeliverable will result in disqualification and the awarding of that prize to an alternate winner (time permitting). There will be a variety of Tuned In Broadcasting promotions occurring between October 15, 2014 and December 21, 2014. If you are identified as a potential winner of a Tuned In Broadcasting prize within (30) thirty days of the drawling for the Blue Moon Brewing Company/Ski Trip to Copper Mountain, you are not eligible to participate and/or win a prize in this Sweepstakes.
- Employees and the immediate families of employees of Blue Moon Brewing Company, Tuned In Broadcasting, , and DET, its affiliates and subsidiaries, employees and the immediate families of employees of advertising and promotion agencies, wholesale distributors and individual retail licensees are ineligible. This Sweepstakes is void where prohibited by law and is subject to federal, state and local regulations. Prize winner is responsible for the taxes on prize, are the responsibility of the individual winner,
- Acceptance of prize offered constitutes permission to use winner’s name, voice, biographical information and/or likeness for purposes of advertising and promotion without further compensation in all media now known or hereafter discovered worldwide and on the Internet without notice or review or approval as permitted by law.
- . PRIZE AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE: There is a total of one (1) Prize during the Promotion:
Airfare for two from BNA to Denver, CO (2): $1,400
Lodging for two people for three (3) nights: $ 650
Lift Tickets for two (2) people for two (2) days: $ 800
Visa gift card :$ 250
TOTAL VALUE OF PRIZE: $3,100
- By accepting a prize, winner agrees to release and hold Tuned In Broadcasting harmless from any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and actions of any kind resulting from acceptance, possession or use of any prize, including without limitation, personal injuries, death and property damage. By participating in this Sweepstakes, participants agree to be bound by the Official Rules of this Sweepstakes.
- For a Winner’s List, hand print your name and complete address on a 3” x 5” card and mail to: Tuned In Broadcasting, 1310 Clinton Street, Nashville TN 37203 for receipt by December 31, 2014
Abbreviated Text Copy
WRLT/Bluemoon Brewing Company Ski Trip to Copper Mountain SWEEPSTAKES
No Beer Purchase Necessary. Sweepstakes open to residents of Tennessee who are 21 years of age or older. Enjoy 3 night, Thursday to Sunday, Ski Trip package for 2 to Copper Mountain. This packages include round-trip airfare, lift tickets for two (2) people for two (2) days, and a $250 Visa Gift Card. Sweepstakes begins at 12:00 AM on October 15, 2014 and ends at 11:59 PM on December 21, 2014. To enter, visit www.skitrip.lightning100.com and follow the online instructions to complete and submit an online entry or fill out a paper entry form at 1310 Clinton Street Suite 215, Nashville TN. See Official Rules www.lightning100.com for complete details. Void where prohibited.
Winner will be announced on December 23rd, 2014.