WRLT History

Originally known as WIZO-FM, WRLT-FM has been broadcasting to Middle Tennessee on100.1 MHz since November 16, 1961. Licensed to Franklin, Tenn., WIZO-FM was the FM counterpart of WIZO (AM) 1380. After a number of ownership,format and name changes, it became Rebel 100 in 1987 as WWRB-FM and was one of the country`s first alternative rock stations.

In the fall of 1988, it changed owners, switched call letters to WRLT-FM and changed formats to “Nashville`s Lite 100.” As Lite 100faltered in the ratings, it was obvious that a major overhaul was necessary to make the station appeal to more than just the aviary creatures inhabiting our transmitting tower.

On March 5, 1990, “Radio Lightning” debuted and changed the face of Nashville radio as we know it. WRLT is a true a nameĀ in a crowded radio environment.

When WRLT first switched formats to Radio Lightning, our studios were located in a rather mundane Brentwood office park. In March of 1991,our studios moved downtown to the hip and cool Second Avenue. We watched Second Avenue grow to become a tourist mecca.

In January 1995, we moved to a perch on top of the Life and Casualty (L & C) Tower at Fourth Ave. North and Church St.

Then, in 2005 we took up residence among the artists` lofts and Yazoo Brewers at Marathon Village.

0 Comments