Wanna go to Moogfest?! Well Moogfest will be in Asheville, NC this October 26th and 27th and only Lightning 100 is giving you the chance to score TWO passes to the festival the celebrates music, musical instrumentation and musicians of all shapes and sizes! We want our L100 listeners to leave a comment below and tell us their stories and memories of their very first instrument. Did your grandfather buy you your first guitar when you were 15? Or do you still pluck the strings of the violin your happy your parents made you learn how to play when you were 5? We want to know what music means to you and how an old piece of wood made you who you are. We will pick two winners to get TWO passes each to Moogfest! Get the tissues, set down the drumsticks and start writing. It doesn’t have to be an essay, just a memory!
Mo’ money, mo’ problems? Not during the spookiest time of year! Halloween is here and Moe is coming to haunt the Ryman for a scare-tastic show! Lightning 100 will be doing a thriller of a promotion for ticket gives where listeners can go to our website and submit their own REAL LIFE ghost stories! Has someone seen a scary figure in an old house or even hilariously thought ketchup on a wall was blood? We want to hear your stories from creepy to funny and the winners will get tickets to the astounding MOE show on October 27th! Post your story below and you might just win!
Divine Fits New Video – Would That Not Be Nice
Lightning 100 wants to send you to Marathon Music Works One Year Birthday Bash featuring The Wailers for free on November 7th! We are completely full on the guest list. Please check your email for your confirmation ticket.
Lumineers – Stubborn Love
As I found out when we announced this particular Retro Lightning, tons of people who were around at the time still marvel at what a great year it was for music! Prince was at the top of his game, dropping gems all over the place; American roots rock was picking up steam; the UK was sending all kinds of bright pop & psychedelia our way. We could easily expand this one way beyond four hours.
A ha – Take on me
Lone Justice – Ways to Be Wicked
Phil Bailey / Phil Collins – Walking on the Chinese Wall
Big Audio Dynamite – e=mc2
Del Fuegos – Don’t Run Wild
Robert Palmer – Addicted to Love
Eric Clapton – She’s Waiting
Bryan Ferry – Slave to Love
Golden Palominos – Go
The Firm – Radioactive
Katrina & the Waves – Walking on Sunshine
Howard Jones – Things Can Only Get Better
Tom Petty – Don’t Come Around Here No More s
Shriekback – Nemesis
Hooters – All You Zombies
INXS – This Time
Paul Young – Everytime You Go Away
Love & Rockets – Haunted / When the Minutes Drag
Nick Lowe – I Knew the Bride
Replacements – Kiss Me On the Bus
Duran2 – A View to a Kill
The Alarm – Strength
The Cult – Rain
New Order – Love Vigilantes
John Hiatt – Living a Little, Laughing a Little
Jason & the Scorchers – Broken Whiskey Glass
Simple Minds – Alive & Kicking
Dream Academy – Life in a Northern Town
General Public – Never You Done That
Level 42 – Something About You
Glenn Frey – You Belong to the City
Flash & the Pan – Midnight Man
Pete Townshend – Face the Face
Oingo Boingo – Dead Man’s Party
Then / Now
Til Tuesday – Voices Carry
Aimee Man – Charmer
Bob Dylan – Tight Connection to the Heart
Bob Dylan – Duquesne Whistle
Dire Straits – So Far Away
The Cure – 6 Different Ways
Prince – Pop Life
R.E.M. – Driver 8
U2 – 3 Sunrises
Ever since Mikky Ekko came out with Strange Fruits EP in 2010, I’ve been waiting for more new music from him. The only real place to catch these treats would be to attend the shows. Hope you enjoy these new tunes.
This group took a minute to grow on me, but this song is kinda sexy. The record is phenom too once you give it a couple listens… It’s “An Awesome Wave”
Alt-J = Tessellate
I can’t get over how much I adore this band. This song is off a new EP they’re releasing later this month called “State Hospital”. This is just an acoustic demo, but I think I might like it better than the EP version… DEMO DISEASE!!! Always and forever
Frightened Rabbit – Boxing Night (Acoustic Demo)
Milo Greene – Moddison
Didn’t you? What a great year ’92 was for music, with diverse sounds coming from every corner of the US and the UK crossing over, as well. Nirvana’s Nevermind kept its hold on our attention, while Cameron Crowe took us even further into the Seattle scene with the soundtrack for his movie Singles. Back on the East coast, Fort Apache was becoming a huge force in Boston and launching the Lemonheads and more. Here’re the tunes …
Los Lobos – Dream in Blue
Stevie Ray Vaughan – The Sky Is Crying
Annie Lennox – Little Bird
Eric Clapton – Tears in Heaven
Tom Waits – Goin’ Out West
The Catherine Wheel – I Want to Touch You
Suzanne Vega – Blood Makes Noise
Gin Blossoms – Mrs. Rita
Sophie B Hawkins – Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover
They Might Be Giants – The Guitar
Paul Westerberg – Dyslexic Heart
Smashing Pumpkins – Drown
Alice In Chains – Would?
Screaming Trees – Nearly Lost You
The Sundays = Wild Horses
Jayhawks – Take Me With You When You Go
Charlatans UK – I Don’t Wanna See the Sights
B-52s – Good Stuff
Paul Weller – Uh Huh Oh Yeah
Lyle Lovett – Been to Memphis
Kingmaker – Really Scrape the Sky
Phish – A Cavern
XTC – The Ballad of Peter Pumkinhead
Blind Melon – Tones of Home
Emmylou Harris – Guitar Town
Lucinda Williams – Hot Blood
Barenaked Ladies – Be My Yoko Ono
Cracker – Teen Angst
Wolfgang Press – A Girl Like You
Faith No More – A Small Victory
U2 – You’re So Cruel
R.E.M. – Ignoreland
Morrissey – We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful
Black Crowes – Thorn in My Pride
David Byrne – Girls On My Mind
David Byrne/St. Vincent – Who?
The Wallflowers – Ashes to Ashes
The Wallflowers – Reboot the Mission
Judybats – Saturday
E – Hello Cruel World
Soul Asylum – Somebody to Shove
Nirvana – Lithium
Here is a nice treat via RollingStone.com of Metric performing a live acoustic session. Hope you enjoy and remember she will be at Ryman Auditorium on September 13th. Get your tickets at our concert calendar.
Funny video for the new Sheepdogs tune.
The Sheepdogs – The Way It Is
Lightning 100 invites you to the biggest karaoke contest of the year! Lightning 100 has teamed up with Tin Roof Nashville to give one lucky listener the ultimate beach party at Deluna Festival! You could win four tickets to the festival plus a hotel room on the beach valued over $1,800! Did we mention the man, the myth, the legendary Lt. Dan will be hosting the event?!? Join us on September 11th from 8-10pm at Tin Roof Nashville for the biggest karaoke contest this year.
I had set my DVR to record this last night, but the storms blacked out my cable… so I am watching it now online. It’s Ben Howard on The Late Show with David Letterman.
Ben Howard – Only Love
Father John Misty – Do You Realize? (Flaming Lips Song)
Enter for a chance to win a Lighting 100 advertising prize package and the opening slot at the East-Centric Music Festival in East Nashville, Saturday, September 15th sponsored by Lightning 100, Fat Bottom Brewing and Building Company N0. 7. East-Centric Pavilion is East-Nashville’s newest events & entertainment venue. As a “Revelry of All Things East,” East-Centric hosts a variety of independent events surrounding Nashville arts, music, original cuisine and drinks and unique local shopping.
The winner will open for Former Roots Association’s Music Folk Artist of the Year and one mean guitar player, Anne McCue and the Soft Parade! Other acts include Kate Tucker, Mockingbyrd, Jesse Lafser, Kin Ship, Amy McCarley, Declan McGarry, Alanna Royale and the Hearts in Light.
The winner will be announced on-air, August 31st.
Desert Noises – Tell Me You Love Me
Desert Noises – Oak Tree
Desert Noises – Smoke Breathing Monsters
This kid is good… Real good. His rhyme 4 minutes in is just plain phenom. THERE IS CURSING in this song so be forewarned.
Joey Bada$$ feat. CJ Fly – Hardknock
Who is your favorite?
BUWEISER®/WRLT Made in Nashville SWEEPSTAKES – OFFICIAL RULES
1. No purchase necessary.
2. To enter, go to www.lightning100.com and follow the online instructions to complete and submit an online entry or be the correct caller per the on-air call-in contest instructions provided on WRLT-FM. Neither the sponsor nor any of its agencies are responsible for interrupted, malfunctioned, lost, late, incomplete, or misdirected calls. All materials submitted become the property of Anheuser-Busch, LLC and none will be returned.
3. Sweepstakes begins at 12:00 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time (“EDT”) on July 17th, 2013. Sweepstakes ends at 11:59 p.m. EDT on July 24th, 2013. For an official copy of the rules, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Budweiser/WRLT Made in Nashville Sweepstakes, c/o Tuned In Broadcasting, 401 Church Street, 30th Floor, Nashville, TN 37219. Limit one request per envelope. Requests must be received by July 22, 2013.
4. Neither Sponsor nor any of its agencies are responsible for lost, late, misdirected, unintelligible, illegible, postage due, stolen, returned, or undelivered, entries, mail or e-mail, or for lost, interrupted or unavailable satellite, network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), website, or other connections availability, accessibility or traffic congestion, miscommunications, failed computer, network, telephone, satellite or cable hardware or software or lines, or technical failure, or jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions, computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures or difficulties, or other errors of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic or network. Persons who tamper with or abuse any aspect of sweepstakes, or website, or violate website’s Terms of Service, as solely determined by Sponsor, will be disqualified. Sponsor is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information whether caused by website users, tampering, hacking, or by any of the programming or equipment associated with or used in this sweepstakes, and assumes no responsibility for any errors, omission, deletion, interruption or delay in operation or transmission or communication line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized website access. Sponsor is not responsible for injury or damage to participants or any other persons, computer or property related to or resulting from participating in this sweepstakes. Should any portion of sweepstakes be, in Sponsor’s sole opinion, compromised by virus, worms, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes which, in sole opinion of Sponsor, corrupt or impair administration, security, fairness or proper play of this sweepstakes, or submission of entries, Sponsor reserves right at its sole discretion to suspend, modify, or terminate sweepstakes, and randomly select winners from valid Internet entries received prior to action taken and mail-in entries. In event of a dispute regarding entries received from multiple users having same e-mail account, authorized subscriber of e-mail account used to enter will be deemed to be entrant, the winner, and must comply with these rules. Authorized account subscriber is natural person who is assigned e-mail address by Internet Service Provider (ISP), on-line service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses. All materials submitted become the property of Anheuser-Busch, Inc. and none will be returned.
5. Prizes will be awarded in a random drawing to be held on or about July 25th, 2013 from all eligible entries received by the station, whose decision is final. Winners will be notified by email or telephone. Prize is non-transferable and no substitutions allowed but sponsors reserve the right to substitute prize with prize of equal or greater value.
6. All prizes will be awarded (time permitting). Odds of winning depend upon the number of eligible entries received. Any prize notification or prize returned to the sponsor or its agencies as undeliverable will result in disqualification and the awarding of an alternative winner (time permitting). Winners must be 21 years of age or older and will be required to complete, sign, notarize and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability release within five (5) days of prize notification. Winner’s guest must be 21 years of age or older as of the end date of the sweepstakes and may be required to complete, sign, notarize and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability release within five (5) days of prize notification. Failure to do so will result in disqualification of winner.
7. Sweepstakes is open to TN residents 21 years of age or older, except employees and their families of the WRLT, Anheuser-Busch, LLC, their affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, wholesalers and individual retail licensees. This sweepstakes is void where prohibited by law and subject to federal, state and local regulations. Taxes on prizes, if any, are the responsibility of the individual winner.
8. Acceptance of the prize offered constitutes permission to use the winner’s name, biographical information and/or likeness for the purpose of advertising and promotion without further compensation to the winner.
9. By accepting a prize, winner agrees to release and hold sponsors harmless from any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and actions of any kind resulting from acceptance, possession or use of any prize, including without limitation, personal injuries, death and property damage. By participating in this sweepstakes, participants agree to be bound by all the Official Rules of this sweepstakes.
10. Grand Prizes (15): One pair of tickets to the Budweiser Made in Nashville concert at Marathon Music Works in Nashville, Tennessee on July 26th, 2013. Transportation, taxes, gratuities or other expenses not specified herein are solely the winner’s responsibility. Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”): $50.00. If a winner cannot accept prize as specified by sponsor, prize will be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner (time permitting). Total ARV of all prizes is $750.00. Any difference between stated value and actual value will not be awarded.
11. For the names of the winners, send a self addressed, stamped envelope by September 26, 2013 to: Budweiser/WRLT Made in Nashville Sweepstakes, c/o Tuned In Broadcasting, 401 Church Street, 30th Floor, Nashville, TN 37219.
Ó 2013 Anheuser-Busch, Budweiser® Beer, St. Louis, MO
Really? Really? Coldplay are gearing up to release their first comic series, based on the fictional story in their most recent album, Mylo Xyloto.
The first issues of the six-comic set will debut at Comic-Con this week, with The Guardian reporting that the story will revolve around Mylo, a hapless ‘Silencer’ fighting a “war against colour and sound.”
Kung Fu Panda helmer Mark Osbourne has co-written the comic, explaining “There were always key words and phrases from Chris [Martin] that drove the story process, things like ‘glowing in the dark’ and ‘dreaming of paradise’.”
Osbourne had hoped to turn the album into a Yellow Submarine-style animated feature before settling on the comic-book medium, but revealed that he still hopes to adapt the story for film.
Alejandro Fuentes has illustrated the series with Dylan Haggerty on co-writing duties. Issue one is released this week with the rest of the series published monthly from February 2013.
This pretty much says it all.
One of the guys from “Akron/Family”. Great record called “Summer Bodies”
Dana Buoy – Call To Be
Did you catch Humming House at Independence Rocks? At once danceable and reflective, familiar and nostalgic, Humming House is a musical experiment gone right. Woven together from diverse backgrounds (Americana, classical composition, bluegrass, soul, and traditional Irish music), their playground of musical exploration has something for every generation. Unmistakable pop sensibilities mixed with a depth of lyrical narrative give their whimsical songs an irresistible quality that can only be described by the imagery of the name – Humming House. This album was recorded and mixed live by Shalom Aberle on April 13th, 2012 in Duluth, GA at The Red Clay Theatre. It features two previously unreleased Humming House songs “Forever Is Better With You” and “Breakfast”. Special thanks to Eddie Owen and Vinnie Alibrandi.
Lightning 100 exclusive in-studio videos