Chef Bobby Hansen from Almost Famous stopped by the ONErpm studio for this episode of Reservations with Lightning In The Morning. Hansen chats with Jayson about the Music City Hot Wing Festival, the recipe for his famous chicken wings and the plans for his new restaurant Almost Famous, opening soon! Check out the full recipe below flavored by Springer Mountain Farms!
Smoking Hot Wings
- 3 lbs Springer Mountain Farms Chicken Wings
- 4 oz Green Onions, sliced thin(optional)
- 1 oz Sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 oz Aleppo Pepper (optional)
- 2 oz Sliced Pickles (optional)
- 2 oz Kimchi (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Smoked Paprika
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Cayenne
- 1 Tablespoon Chipotle Powder
- 1 Cup Guchojang (Korean Pepper Paste)
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1 cup Organic Ketchup
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Sorghum
- 3 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1/2 cup Apple Juice
- 3 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
How to Smoke Wings:
- Place Approximately 3 cups of wood chips in a large bowl and cover with water. Let sit for at least one hour prior to heating.
- Rinse wings with water and pat dry with paper towels to remove excess liquid.
- Place wings in a large bowl/plastic bag and rub olive oil evenly into each piece.
- Combine all seasonings in a bowl.
- Sprinkle half of the season mix onto the chicken wings and rub in. Flip wings and sprinkle remaining half onto wings and rub in.
- Let the dry rub sit on the wings for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat smoker to 250 degrees.
- Place chicken wings on the racks, placing the largest pieces (usually the legs) closest to the heat source.
- Add water soaked wood chips to the box/tray on your smoker.
- Smoke/heat wings maintaining a 250 degree temperature for the 45-60 minutes.
- Flip wings and add more chips if desired(not necessary). After 90 minutes, check internal temperature of wings. Heat to 165 degrees internally.
- Increase temperature to 375 degrees F and crisp the outer edge for approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Brush BBQ Wing Sauce onto the wings. Let the sauce and wings cook together for 20 minutes.
- Remove wings from the smoker/grill and place into a stainless steel bowl. Add some more sauce and toss together evenly. Make sure all the wings are covered.
- Place 16 oz of wings on the serving plate adding green onions, aleppo, sesame seeds as a garnish. (optional)
- Add pickles and kimchi as garnish to the plate. (optional)