Once a month Team Lightning partners with Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee and the Roots of a Rebellion “Roots Crew” to give back to the local community by volunteering at the nearby Farm In The City. Our next gardening day will be July 12th and you can register below to join the team! If you can’t make it out but are interested in starting your own garden, here are 5 late season veggies you can still grow this summer.
- Broccoli: Sow late sprouting broccoli in late June for a fall harvest, or to overwinter and harvest in early spring.
- Turnips: Get your last batch of turnips in for a late August/early September harvest.
- Cabbages: July is prime time to sow cabbages for next spring. Just make sure you pick the right variety!
- Peas: Now is your last chance to sow your peas! Wait any longer and they probably won’t survive the frost.
- Kohlrabi: Sow your last batch of kohlrabi now and you should have plenty for Christmas.
Check out these photos of previous Farm In The City volunteer sessions and don’t forget to join us on July 12th! Register here!